Best Compact Convertible Car Seat for Small Cars 2017
Lets face it, safety is the most important thing when finding a convertible car seat for your child. But while the child's safety is important your comfort or that of your passenger is important too. The question of what is the best convertible car seat for a small car is one that you have probably had to face after you or your passengers got all cramped up because you are too tall or maybe you drive a mini.
Even as some of the best convertible car seats offer utmost safety and protection, they may never fit in your little car, making travel a nightmare. However, you should not have to sacrifice your comfort and safety every time you travel.
We have a compile a list of the top rated convertible car seats that will fit in any small car allowing you to travel comfortably while confident that your kid is also safe. You wanna know the good thing about these car seats? You can also use most of them as infant car seats.
Our Favorite Car Seats for Small Cars
|Car Seat Brand||Price||Safety Rating||Weight (lbs)||Warranty|
|1.||Maxi Cosi Pria 70||$199.99||4,5 Stars||18.4||One Year|
|2.||Britax USA Boulevard||$304.00||4.5 Stars||24||One Year|
|3.||Graco 4Ever All-in-One||Check on Amazon||4.7 Stars||23||One Year|
|4.||Diono Radian RXT||$299.99||4.0 Stars||23||One Year|
|5.||Chicco Nextfit Matrix||$299.99||4.0 Stars||25.1||Not Indicated|
Check Out Best Baby Deals of the Month
Benefits of a Compact Convertible Car Seat for Your Small Car
There are several benefits you stand to gain by going for a small convertible car seat if you have a small or medium sized car.
- It is lightweight and compact making it easy to lug around. This is especially convenient if you move around a lot or move the seat from car to car, whereby a big carseat can become huge inconvenience due to its bulk and weight.
- A compact convertible car seat does take a lot of space in the car meaning you can have enough space for your grocery shopping or any other thing you need to carry around in the car on the regular
- With small convertible car seats, you can typically fit more car seats into the backseat, allowing you to carry several of your children safely
- Small car seats leave enough room for your spouse, other children or any other passengers that you may want to carry around. Small seats leave more legroom ensuring your passengers are more comfortable on the ride
Best Convertible Car Seats for Small Cars
One of the smallest yet very safe and secure car seat maxi cosi seat. It is one of the most compact toddler car seats.
As a two mode seat it is very convenient as you can use it for your child during infancy and when they are a toddlers.
Small as it is, you can use it for infants from 4 to 40 pounds in the rear facing mode then shift it to forward facing where you can use it from 22 to 70 pounds.
Despite its size and weight it is a very secure car seat
- It has some of the best side impact protection that uses Flextech Construction to release kinetic energy during a crash as safely as possible
- It is a narrow car seat that ensures that you have enough space in the car for other passengers or other car seats
- Comes with one click LATCH system for ease of installation
- Several recline positions and perfect fit headrest ensure maximum safety and comfort for your child
- It is one of the most affordable car seats for the features it provides
If you have a fast growing child, they may outgrow the car seat quite fast
- Unlike other baby seats in its class it cannot be used as a booster seat
Maxi Cosi Pria 70 Installation Video
The Britax Clicktight range of car seats has made a reputation for itself as one of the safest convertible car seats in the US.
It is a small car seat that you can use in both the rear facing and forward facing mode. Given how notorious rear facing car seats are for taking up too much space, the Britax is one of the most compact rear facing car seats given its relatively small footprint, which can be reduced even further with adjustment of its recline
- Comes with the renowned safecell and clicktight system for ease of installation and enhanced safety
- One of the only seats that combines an impact absorbing base and a steel frame for utmost protection of your kid
- It has more recline options that any other model giving your baby the utmost comfort during the ride
- 14 different adjust options means that your child can ride this seat in both the rear facing and forward facing modes for a very long time
- Safesnug harness indicator and the angle recline bubble adjust ensures that you install the car seat in the safest and most comfortable position
- Can be a little expensive when compared to other similar car seats
- Those not familiar with the LATCH system may find the installation quite a pain before getting used to it
Britax Advocate Clicktight Installation Video
When it comes to car seats Graco is one of the most reputable brands, with some of the best convertible car seat ratings in a variety of crash tests.
The Graco 4Ever all in one is a three mode car seat made for both toddlers and infants and older children as an infant convertible and a booster seat.
Small in size, lightweight enough making among the best car seats for small cars.
- Has one of the widest weight limits accommodating infants from 4 pounds up to toddlers at 120 pounds
- Comes with an integrated harness that allows you to put away those annoying straps and belts when you are using the seat in the booster mode
- Has EPS energy absorbing liner that cushions the baby from any serious injury during a collission
- Features a no re thread harness and easy to read level indicator making installation of the seat a breeze
- Has a unique steel reinforced frame for your peace of mind regarding the child's safety in the instance of a collision
- While quite small in size, it is a bit on the heavier side due to the steel frame
- Comes in only two colors giving very little choice
Graco 4Ever All-in-one installation Video
One of the top 3-in-1 car seats fro small cars that you could find in the market.
What makes the Diono Radian RXT so popular is that you can use it from infancy when the child into a toddler at two years old until the child is approximately 12 years old making its longevity one of the best.
As a small car owner, you will be happy to know that with the RXT, you can fit up to three car seats in the backseat as it is one of the narrowest convertible car seats anywhere.
- For some of the best safety it comes with a steel frame, energy absorbing harness, energy absorbent base and side impact protection
- Memory foam padding takes the shape of the child relieving pressure on muscles allowing them to have a more comfortable ride
- Fitting three car seats in the back of your car, you can travel with the entire family without worrying about safety or comfort
- It is one of the best lightweight car seats that is small enough to be folded into the form of a backpack that you can carry around during travel
- It is FAA approved meaning you can use it for airplane travel
- Has some of the most unappealing of colors of any car seat in the market
- You have to install each component of the car seat, and if you are not tech savvy this can be quite a challenge
- Does not give a snug fit of the shoulder belt in booster mode
Diono Radian RXT Video Installation
Coming after the Chicco Keyfit, the Nextfit range of car seats is definitely one of the best convertible car seats if you have a compact car.
It has been made for the small car being lightweight and small in size yet having the highest standards of safety and quality we always associate with Chicco car seats
The Chicco can definitely fit in any type of small car without any problems
- Comes with a 6 position headrest and 9 position recline system for maximum comfort for your child
- Provides a tight and secure fit of the car seat and the baby through the revolutionary Super Cinch LATCH tighetener
- You can also use it as an infant bucket seat if you do not have an infant seat
- Has a five point harness system and a 2 position chest clip giving you peace of mind that your child is securely strapped in
- The integrated slide path makes for enhanced ease of installation and removal of the car seat from the vehicle
- Comes in a variety of colors and a machine washable pad insert
- Given Chicco's reputation, and the features on offer, this car seat can get quite pricey if you are looking for a bargain
- You may need to purchase an infant insert if you have a very small child
Chicco Nexfit Installation Video
Of all the small convertible car seats for small cars reviewed, theBritax Boulevard Clicktight
takes the prize. It is small enough that it fits in any small car and yet provides utmost safety and comfort for your child.
It is also easy to install and can be carried around given that it is a relatively lightweight car seat and is alsoFAA approved
Given its features, its price is quite affordable and I would recommend that you go for the Boulevard Clicktight if you have or are thinking of purchasing a mini..